Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Victoria Pickleball Tournament

I recently received a poster for the upcoming tournament on Vancouver Island at the Saanich Commonwealth Place on June 4 & 5, 2011.  The poster indicated that "Official Pickleball Rules Apply". I also received a copy of an email from Chuck Lefaive that indicated that all paddles would be welcome.  I took the opportunity to email the tournament director, Susan Guest, to ask for clarification.  Here's the email I sent.


Dear Ms.  Guest:

I have received a copy of your email to Chuck Lefaive through  Bill Franzman of Pickleball Canada‚s Board of Directors and I‚d appreciate if  you could clarify the rules of your tournament.  Your poster states that  the Official Pickleball rules apply which I‚m assuming is the USAPA and IFP  rules found at:

http://www.ipickleball.org/rules/pbrules-ifp.pdf
http://www.ipickleball.org/rules/IFP_Paddle_Material_Specifications.pdf
http://www.usapa.org/officialrules/

In  Mr. Lefaives‚ email he states that all players and all paddles are welcome.   That statement  therefore contradicts the position you advertise on  your poster and I‚m confused by the contradiction.  Could you  clarify?

As a member of the Board of Directors for Pickleball Canada I  have long taken the position that the inclusion of the Apike and Hush paddles  into tournament play provides an unfair advantage to players who chose to use  those paddles.  The USAPA has banned the use of the Apike and Hush  paddles in their sanctioned tournaments and I‚m surprised that any bona fide  tournament committee would chose to allow them in tournament play.  

Of course each tournament committee must decide for themselves  which set of rules they intend on applying to their tournament.  It might  be wise to clarify your poster to avoid any misrepresentation.  

If you do chose to follow the „Official Pickleball Rules‰ I  would whole heartedly recommend to my fellow players here in South Surrey,  Cloverdale and Abbotsford that they participate in your tournament.  I  myself would enjoy playing but have made it a personal rule never to play in  tournaments where Apike or Hush paddles are allowed.  I look forward to  your response.

Regards,

Colin  Caldwell
cbcaldwell@shaw.ca

I will post any reply I may receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment